Friday 29 June 2012

09/06/2012: Total Recall [1990]


After seeing the new Total Recall trailer again in theatres, I figured it was about time I watched the original. The trailer for the remake looks very interesting, and so I figured I might want to have the original to compare it to when and if I catch that one in theatres. So after I got back from viewing The Cabin In The Woods again in theatre, I threw it on to finish up the night.




 Total Recall is of course a 1990 sci-fi movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (whose name is in the computers dictionary) and has some pretty crazy elements to it. Arnold is living happily on earth, and his only problems are some troubling dreams about mars. In the world of Total Recall, mars was colonized, but is currently in a war for independence, with terrorists fighting against the corporation who runs mars, restricting the air, and generally being cruel to the immigrants, many of whom have mutated inexplicably. Total Recall really has the sci-fi department covered on this one.


The one thing that I have not been able to figure out from the trailer for the remake is whether or not it will take place on mars as well. Personally, I think that the story could be easily be made to work without mars, and that might make for an interesting originality in the remake. The major similarities as far as I can tell from the trailer is of course, Rekall. Rekall is a company which sells memory implants, fake memories of amazing vacations and experiences. In both versions, Quaid, are ordinary man with the troubling dreams, decides to get a memory implant of traveling to mars as a secret agent. There is only one problem. Before the memory can even begin to be implanted, some apparently hidden or erased memories come to the surface, with every indication that Quaid was in-fact a secret agent who had been very important regarding some events on mars. 

Why wontz you buyz my cookiez? (I don't know how to type Schwarzenegger's accent)


At this point, the movie tends to balance two different theories for the events that follow. On the one hand, perhaps Quiad was not who he thought he was, and is instead a secret agent with a very important secret hidden in his memories. On the other hand, perhaps his mind has simply taken the secret agent memories that were in-fact implanted, and freeformed them into some very crazy dreams. While I don’t think that Total Recall makes to much of an effort to portray anything as other but the truth, perhaps the remake might blur things a bit more.


One problem I have with Arnold Schwarzenegger is that for some reason, I generally don’t take him seriously. Maybe it is , because he became his own stereotype, or maybe it was his role in Kindergarten Cop , or maybe it is just the faces he makes, particularly when lacking oxygen on mars. For some reason, I really can’t take any of his movies to seriously, no matter how hard I try. Total Recall, takes itself seriously most of the time, and then there are other times things get a little hokey. Generally this drags down all the serious moments with it. One good thing I am hoping from the remake, is it takes itself a little more seriously.
That being said, I did enjoy some of Total Recall’s more hokey moments. The mutant red light district of mars was particularly fun, and for some reason gave me a very Star Wars meets Bladerunner vibe. Although, things might have been too bright in those scenes. Generally the whole movie lacked any dark and shadowy scenes. Also, for those of you concerned, I did hear rumours that the three breasted mutant would make a return in the remake.

I had no problems with that game plan.


Aside from Arnold, Totall Recall did have two other faces I recognized. Sharon Stone of course, was pretty much perfect for her role, and it was a shame she only made it about halfway through. The other face I recognized was the dwarf prostitute. I watched a lot of Little People a couple years ago, which is a reality T.V. show about her family. Wonder how she explains that role to her kids. Other than that, the cast does as well as necessary in Total Recall, with the only real standout possibly being that head agent, trying to catch Quaid.

Now, I will admit that, about 25 minutes from the end, I dozed off for about 10 minutes. Suddenly they are trying to turn on this reactor, and I really have no idea why the taxi driver was driving that drill towards Quaid and whoever. I’m guessing he flipped sides when I dozed off, but I would really like to see them try and explain that. Also, the aliens. So apparently there were aliens on mars, who built a reactor capable of melting mars ice core (yes, yes, I know) and therefore produce an oxygen abundant atmosphere.  So, if this was true, where the hell were the aliens? You’ve already given us mutants, and space travel, and space colonization. Then you just dangle aliens in front of us and give us nothing. Oh well, that probably would have been too much too handle anyway. The Total Recall world is a pretty big and original sci-fi world, but it is crafted rather quickly, with a lot of cool ideas and elements, just little explanation. Then again, I’m probably expecting too much from a Schwarzenegger sci-fi action movie. 

This is on some special effects or wardrobe guys resume.
 Overall, Total Recall was not a disappointment, but there is a reason it isn’t heralded as one of the greatest movies ever, nor am I aware, has it built up a strong cult following. However, there were a lot of cool ideas in there, and it is good to see someone take another swing at it this summer. I think if I get the chance, I will definitely go and check out the remake in theatres. In the meantime, you might want to brush up on the 1990 version first, or possibly just to refresh your memory. Then again, you might just want to see the remake cold turkey, and judge it for itself, without, well... I really wouldn’t say that Total Recall cast a daunting shadow, but it was a decent sci-fi movie for the 90’s.









































Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment