Sunday 8 July 2012

07/07/2012: Moonrise Kingdom [2012]


So yesterday I headed out to the theater with my friends to spend the entire day watching movies. I had not really planned anything and had simply been told that we were heading out after lunch and they had arranged it so we could watch as many movies as possible for the rest of the day. The first movie on their billet was Ted, but when we arrived, I saw to my surprise Moonrise Kingdom was playing and while I was five minutes late, I figured I’d only miss the previews. 




 Before I get into how I think Moonrise Kingdom might be Wes Anderson’s finest piece of work, I’ll talk about the theater. I’ve  never really lived next to a massive city, and so have only ever had one option at a time when it came to movie theaters. When I got in the car yesterday, I figured we were going to the closest one, just outside the city. Instead we drove into the city to what must be the biggest movie theater I’ve ever visited. With so many theaters in the area, my friends has been able to choose from not just one theater to best fit in our movie marathon. Like all cities, the theater was built upwards, and it sure was amazing. Five floors up, with twelve theaters including an I-Max, and an Ultra-AVX, and whatever other fancy theater options they have nowadays. While I stick to the simplest forms, do you enjoy the fancier things available?
So, while simply the theater was enough to amaze me on a level on par with most movies I will say that I was overjoyed to see Moonrise Kingdom on the list of showings when I arrived at the theater. The original line-up had been Ted, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and The Amazing Spiderman finishing it off. Personally I had really wanted to see Savages, and would have been more than willing to sacrifice the first two to fit it in. However, when I had looked at the theater’s showtimes I thought I was going to earlier, it had only been in French, and I didn’t feel like only half understanding the movie. When I got to the new theater, I had hope for Savages again, but while I didn’t get that, I was rather overjoyed to see Moonrise Kingdom still playing at the theater. If you’ve seen Savages, tell me how it is. Anyway, I quickly bought my ticket five minutes into the movie, and pretty much ran up the four escalators to the top floor.

I might have joined scouts as a kid after seeing this.
I’ve only recently discovered Wes Anderson, well, I’ve recently discovered a lot of things since I started this blog, but anyway, while I have picked quite a few directors whose works I want to check out, Wes Anderson is one of the few I did. So, with Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic and The Royal Tennenbaums under my belt I was game to see Moonrise Kingdom. Even then however, I really knew little about the movie, when I told my friends I would be forgoing Ted for it, one asked what it was about, and why I wanted to see it. I really had no way to describe either the plot, or Wes Anderson’s style. I realize now, I could have describe it as a love story, with Anderson’s standard cast of quirky and lovable characters, and a unique filmmaking style. Even with that though, I probably wouldn’t have been able to make the sale.
Even after watching Moonrise Kingdom, only one word really described the movie: Beautiful. I would say Moonrise Kingdom is a beautiful movie. It tops everything else I saw this weekend, and I was sad to see the theater rather empty. Although, this might have been the second week, and all the theaters were empty asides from Spiderman. Strangely, the movie was extremely popular with the senior crowd, with more than 75% of the theater over 75% threw their life. Anyways, regardless of who seems to be interested, I would recommend Moonrise Kingdom to anyone rather forcefully, and have already told my brother to take his girlfriend if possible. Because, Moonrise Kingdom at its heart is a love story, albeit not the overly complicated ones usually portrayed in today’s movies. Moonrise Kingdom is about Sam and Suzy, two children of the age, I don’t know, 11? Meeting at a pageant of some sort, the two fall in love at first site, and then exchange letters for another year. Both “troubled” children, Suzy lives with her family, while Sam is an orphan staying the summer with the Kaki Scouts. While my favourite line was undoubtedly, “he does watercolour. Mostly landscapes but some nudes.”, the letters also discuss their plans to run away together, which at the time had been sprung and the two love birds are on the run.

I do really enjoy topography. Just throwing it out there.
 Moonrise Kingdom is set on an island of the coast of New England in the 1960's, and begins three days before the biggest recorded storm of the time hit the island. I’m lead to believe that none of that was fictional, but I’ve never heard anything of it. Eitherway, the small island community of course turns out in force, as everyone becomes involved in the search for the missing children.  The movie of course however, starts out with the opening credits, which may be some of my favourite of all time. The entirety of Moonrise Kingdom I think is an homage to an era of filmmaking I’m not really familiar with, if you can point it out, please do. The thing that I associate the feel of this movie to the most however, is illustrated children’s books. The colouring, and style as well as the camera filter and credits remind me very much of some of the illustrated children’s books from my childhood. Based on the subject matter of the movie, I’m pretty sure that that was Wes Anderson’s intent, or at least, so I will believe.
The most standard element of Moonrise Kingdom that identifies it as Wes Anderson’s work is of course the character. In all of his previous movies, the man had shown us that he can craft these beautiful quirky and flawed and amazing characters, who no matter what their problems, you somehow relate to and love. I think he almost boils them down, and strips away all of the usual shells and walls most people keep around them. But then again, what do I know? Anyone care to agree with me there?  I find Moonrise Kingdom, and most of Wes Anderson’s movie rather difficult to describe. Anyway, once again, Anderson has lined up a stellar cast. While the Wilson brothers don’t make their appearance, we still get Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Harvey Keitel , Tilda Swinton, and David Schwartzman. However, as great as those actors are, and how perfectly they play their characters, the entire movie hinges on the performance of Sam and Suzy. I must say, Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward do an amazing job, considering I can’t remember the last movie I watched that feature any significant roles for child actors and this was both their first movie. Without their performances however, the entire rest of the movie could have been perfect, but would have still failed regardless. That didn’t happen however.

Be careful, these boy scouts loan shark in their spare time. It's now a badge.
I really can’t stress how beautiful this movie was, both in its story and just its visuals. Every prop seems to have been specifically made and placed, to create the world which feels straight out of a children’s story. Moonrise Kingdom was easily the best movie I watched at the theater or the whole weekend. I am infinitely glad I didn’t bother with Ted, although I heard it has a lot of movie references, which does intrigue me. As for where Moonrise Kingdom fits in with the rest of Wes Anderson’s work. Well... I know that The Royal Tennebaums is the favourite of many, but it was unfortunately the first of his work I saw, and I think the fact that I was unfamiliar with his work probably affected my opinion of that movie. As it currently stands however, it goes The Royal Tennenbaums in third, with Rushmore in second, and yes, Moonrise Kingdom in first. To this date Moonrise Kingdom is in my opinion Wes Anderson’s best work. While this may change depending on what I rewatch, that is where it stand now. I’ve heard of no one who did not love this movie, and if you get a chance, check it out and to the woman who asked “When will it end?” during the Twilight preview, I agree, but unfortunately rumours already circulate about a reboot, even though people thought Spiderman was early. But we’ll get to that later, my day at the movies has just begun.







































Link:
Moonrise Kingdom IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment