Monday 4 June 2012

29/05/2012: Men In Black 3 [2012]

I hadn't intended to see MIB3 in theatres, but when 4 of my friends decided on a Tuesday night they were all going to pile into a car and drive through a maze of highways for a half hour to get to the nearest theatre I figured this might be my best chance to get to see one of the many great movies coming out this summer. I have no regrets.







I can only string together a bunch of random memories about the Men In Black series. I remember a certain mailroom, a crater and a cow, a number of beatboxing languages, and most of the fun and iconic MIB gadgets. Storywise however, I simply new that in the second one, Agent K had erased his memory and Agent J had to rescue him to save the world. I must say this sounds very similar to the plot of MIB 3, Agent K is erased from time and Agent J has to save him to save the world. But at almost a decade between the movies, perhaps it doesn't matter.

Is Men In Black really over a decade old? It doesn't feel that way, and series has always been memorable, if I can't exactly put my finger on any solid memories. A series putting out a new film after a decade is always a very dangerous thing. Most of the time, they try and update to the newer technology, as well as new styles, more modern comedy and generally jump on whatever movie trend there is. Most of the time, that jump is made however horribly, and we are left with a movie that isn't like the original classic we want it to be. Men In Black 3 however, didn't try to jump very far and so it was you get a heavy nostalgic feeling, and the third installment fits right into the series.

Looks like nothing has really changed.
MIB 3, has of course, made a few changes from its predecessors. It of course, had to be released in 3D, but I can't think of a single moment were something popped out of the screen at me. I'm not sure what 3D is even being used for these days. Just adding depth I guess? MIB 3 of course makes use of today's special effects, but even with however much CGI it used, it didn't look bad, nor to dramatic a change from the earlier films. Perhaps that is because the series is not that old, or because someone was rather smart somewhere. Either way, things look great and Boris the Animal is one great villain.

As for the story, it doesn't get to confusing. Boris escapes, travels back in time and kills K, the Arc-Net never launches, J goes back in time, has to kill Boris, but future Boris comes back... Ok, it sounds like it is getting complicated but it doesn't. The time travel is actually very fun, placing Agent J in 1969, we get to see some racism as well as a shuttle launch. The only thing that doesn't pan out, is a billboard reference to Frank, who doesn't make an appearance unfortunately. In fact many of the old characters don't appear or only show up briefly. Oh well, can't have everything.

Ok, this looks like it coulda been in 3D.
Of the couple of returning actors, they pick up their character almost perfectly yet again. Will Smith, plays Agent J as no longer the rookie Agent K may think he is, and as usual is the real star of the series. Tommy Lee Jones, once again plays the gruzzled (I know that is not a word, but for some reason I felt that the best way to describe him) Agent K, with Josh Brolin playing his younger version. Michael Stuhlbarg plays a great addition to the series, who I think we will see again if we get a 4th and Alice Eve plays the eye candy as Agent O.

While very few of the original cast actually returned, the 3rd still has all the same feeling as the original. The soundtrack is unmemorable, as I literally don't remember any of it. The set is well done, especially 1969. I wonder if they had dismantled the entryway to the MIB headquarters, or if it has been kicking around for a decade at some studio. Without the internet, I can't look it up.

Men In Black three 3 very much like the originals, and still is the same ratio of action, sci-fi, comedy that made the first one so great. Many argue that it is better than the second movie, which is possible. In the end, MIB 3 was not a disappointment to see in theatres, although it doesn't make the top of list of summer blockbusters that are coming out. But my theatre was absolutely packed, so clearly the series still has many fans, but strangely, there was very few teenagers, mostly people in their 20's who still remember the originals I would think. They didn't seem disappointed, so neither should you.










































Link:
Men In Black 3 IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment