Saturday 11 February 2012

06/02/2012: Beneath the Planet of the Apes [1970]

I think it's safe to say that The Planet of the Apes is one of the classics. However I have only ever seen the original and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Even when I watched the original I thought I was watching a remake. Surprised was I to later learn that the remake was actually a 2001 Tim Burton movie starring Mark Wahlberg. While I have no hate for either of them I having seen the trailer refuse to watch the remake. But discovering I had only seen the original and none of it's 4 sequels I decided to see what came after Taylor's great discovery.



Wilson!, Wilsooonnn!
I must say however I am disappointed with what was discovered Beneath the Planet of the Apes. I mean first off, the first 45+ minutes are pretty much a retelling of the original story. I actually thought Brent was Taylor for a good 5 minutes and wondered why they had rewritten it so the shuttle crashed on land and didn't sink. I soon realized it was not Taylor, but ok, so the actor couldn't show up for the sequel, a second crash is a little far fetched but let's roll with it. Then however the movie continues to follow in the footsteps of the original, showing us again the world of the Apes.
Nothing quite like a good steam eh?
However I did not believe that The Planet of the Apes was truly a story of the apes and their rise to become the dominant species. I wanted to see more of Taylor and his adventures. How did he handle the discovery he was on earth? Did he discover more humans, form a tribe, a rebellion? Anything? Well after Brent spends the first half the movie retracing his exact footsteps we do find out what Taylor found and honestly I was not impressed. The idea of mutant humans living in a post-apocalyptic world, worshiping nuclear bombs is not new or boring. It just didn't fit with the world wear apes had evolved and human's devolved. Throw in telepathy and things just get a little to crazy.

Unfortunately the ending is also as terrible. The doomsday bomb goes off and the planet of the apes is no more. Really, that's all you could give us. However when you read the trivia you see why.  Charlton Heston clearly didn't want to make another sequel and is tried his hardest to end the series, or at least Taylor here. He was successful at the later but not the former. Also when you read the other script ideas, you see what greatness it could have been. Further adventures of Taylor, a half man/ half ape child, a human rebellion, and even ape/human equality. Unfortunately this is what we got:

Humanity once again rears its head and destroy the whole world.
 So while the Planet of the Apes goes down as a classic, the movies as a series do not. Unable to accomplish even a decent sequel, I am scared to see how things develop in the later movies, with a time shift and the tables turned. Overall I must say that where The Planet of the Apes set the bar, Beneath the Planet of the Apes simply rolled under it.








































Link:
Beneath the Planet of the Apes IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment