Friday 30 December 2011

22/12/2011: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Män Som Hatar Kvinnor) [2009]

With the recent release of the American remake I decided to watch the original trilogy staring today with the first, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I knew nothing of this movie before I started, not even a trailer for it or the remake, and wasn't even sure which girl might have the dragon tattoo.

I must say the film turned out to be a lot darker than I thought, and leaving none of the violence or sexuality out. The plotline was a very compelling murder mystery, with a small conspiracy and Nazis thrown in. (I love a good Nazi conspiracy), the film did not show its cards fast, keeping the twists, and mystery going and revealing things at a great pacing. The movie was ~2 hours and 30 minutes, so I didn't watch the extended cut, but this was definitely the minimum I feel is required for a good book to film conversion, but I've never read the books so can't tell how close the film was. Just reading up-on the remake, was impressed it actually runs 6 minutes longer, and is apparently truer to the book.

I will be watching the rest of the trilogy this week, and perhaps be curious enough to see how the Daniel Craig version is. Personally I like foreign films and have no problem with a different language as once I start the subtitles disappear and I don't even notice. I also as you can tell, pretty much like anything I watch so...

Overall TGWTDT is a great murder mystery, one of the best I have seen in the last few years, and is outstanding for a Sweden-Denmark-Germany collaboration.

I also prefer this poster to the new versions.

Link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

No comments:

Post a Comment