Friday 30 December 2011

18/12/2011: Drive [2011]

I had heard a lot of hype about this movie, and while I had no idea what to expect in terms of the plot I was not disappointed. While the reviews on IMDB are pretty much bi-polar, the movie currently sits at an 8.2/10.

This movie falls into the category of an action thriller, but a much deeper and thought out one than the average  crime drama. With Ryan Gosling as the lead probably speaking a mere 50 words the entire film, the camera is constantly shooting from odd angles, and slowing down emotional moments. Also interesting was the films soundtrack, no rock and roll during the action sequences but instead softer music during the numerous emotional reflection scenes.

As much as this film was about the emotional storyline, it surprised me with its brutality. A number of scenes feature brutal deaths and even so apparently the elevator one was toned down. I felt it's brutality was not mindless but in fact complimented the tones of the film.

Overall while I won't be dying for a re-watch the film is definitely Oscar material.

Link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

No comments:

Post a Comment